AfterCollege provides quarterly scholarships to support current students who demonstrate professionalism and a passion for their future career. The next deadline for Career Center students to apply for AfterCollege scholarships is December 31st. For more information, visit https://www.aftercollege.com/scholarships/
Experience both medicine and science in an integrated summer program!
The Iowa Summer Undergraduate MSTP Research (SUMR) Program provides highly motivated undergraduates exposure to the career and training pathway of the physician-scientist. Participants carry out independent research under the direction of an established mentor in a clinical or basic science department. They gain an appreciation for the role of the physician-scientist in asking pertinent medically-related research questions and carrying the results of the work to the patient’s bedside.
In addition to the intensive laboratory experience, SUMR Program participants have the opportunity to:
· Gain clinical exposure through shadowing experiences with physician-scientist mentors and Emergency Room personnel.
· Participate in a weekly seminar series demonstrating how science and medicine intersect. Lectures are typically presented by physician-scientists to show how scientific investigation impacts the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of human disease.
· Participate in career development sessions in the areas of medical/graduate school admissions and personal statement writing.
· Interact with current MD/PhD students during weekly informal chat sessions.
· Present their research findings at the end of the session.
SUMR 2013 will run from May 28 – August 2, 2013. Eligible students are US Citizens or permanent residents who will graduate in the 2013-2014 academic year. Applicants must have had previous research experience. Selected applicants receive a stipend of $4,150 plus lodging and a travel allowance for travel to/from Iowa City.
The application deadline is February 4, 2013. We encourage you to view our website for further SUMR Program information, including an on-line application. http://www.healthcare.uiowa.edu/mstp/New/mstp/summer/index.htm
The University of Iowa is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse student population. Our goal is to maximize each student’s future success. Towards this end, emphasis is placed on providing financial and social support and graduate/professional career advising to all participants.